Summer Drinks are a requisite in India as it is a hot Country and the summers are severe. South Indians cannot do without Summer Drinks like Buttermilk or Moringa Masala Buttermilk all throughout the year as we live in a really hot land and of course the ready to drink Coconut water which is ubiquitous. We have only two seasons here; summer and more summer! I have assembled all the summer drinks here so that it is easier to locate and make a choice of your favourite.
Click on the hyperlinks for the full recipe.
1. Moringa Masala buttermilk with a sprinkling of cumin powder on top is very cooling. All the flavours blend well with each other and give a very cooling feeling to parched throats in summer. Serve Moringa Masala Buttermilk chilled and store it in the fridge for refills during the day.
2. Mangoes are great to eat but the juice tastes much better and has more takers. Wash the mangoes well and leave them in water for 15 minutes. Remove from water and squeeze the juice of the mangoes into a bowl. Store the pitcher in the refrigerator and pour yourself a glass whenever you are thirsty. Mango Juice-King of Juices is any day better than the store bought packs of Frooti!The king of fruit rules!
3. Aam Panna or Raw Mango Drink Recipe is a real thirst quencher during these sweltering days of summer. Aam Panna is a drink renowned for its heat-resistant properties. It is made from green or raw mangoes and is consumed as a flavoursome and healthy beverage to battle against the intense Indian summer heat. Aam Panna is prepared using raw mangoes, sugar and an assortment of flavours. It gets a tangy taste from raw mangoes, sweet from the sugar, a little salty and some flavours from spices.
4. Raw Mango Iced Tea or Aam Panna Iced Tea You already have the mango pulp in the fridge when you make Aam Panna, then it is easy to make an iced tea with it. Just pour the Aam Panna first then add the tea decoction and finally pile on the ice. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and serve Raw Mango Iced Tea or Aam Panna Iced Tea.
5. A Virgin Mango Mojito sounds really invigorating, doesn’t it? Mangoes are so versatile and we can easily blend them with anything. Mojito’s are so refreshing and a mango flavoured one sure is. This chilled homemade Virgin Mango Mojito is perfect for a summer day and beats any beverage from the best cafe or bistro.
6. Virgin Lychee Mojito is a close rival to the mango. With the mercury shooting up, my drink making spree was also up. I was ready to experiment with lychees, lemons, mint and sugar to create a flavourful mocktail. Fresh lychees are the best for this mocktail but you can use canned too. Add a straw to make your Virgin Lychee Mojito more fanciful, sip and imagine lying on a deck chair and sunning on a cool beach.
7. Gond Katira or Tragacanth Gum Drink is a natural coolant. A dash of RoohAfza will not only add a pretty pink colour to the drink but will also help to rejuvenate you when the heat saps your energy. Serve chilled preferably have it with breakfast or between breakfast and lunch. It is a very delicious, yummy, refreshing drink which is invigorating and energising when you lack energy in summer. If you do not want to have it with milk then just add water and a lemon. This would reduce the calories too.
8. A glass of chilled Jaljeera on a hot summer day is very refreshing. It is a traditional Indian summer drink with health benefits. Jal jeera literally means ‘cumin water’ but there are more cooling ingredients than just roasted and powdered cumin in it. Serve Jaljeera, garnished with a slice of lemon, mint or even a little grated raw mango.
9. Taati Munjalu Ice apple sherbet is very refreshing. I just love the pinky pink colour too. Taati Munjalu or Palm Fruit is used to make Ice creams, desserts, and juices but I like sliding the smooth, watery fruit in my mouth and when the flesh breaks taste the water which is like nectar from the Gods. Serve the blended sherbet topped with ice cubes. Serve chilled. Sip the chilled sherbet and nibble on the Ice apple chunks….just divine!
10. Lemon Iced Tea/ Pomegranate is a real thirst quencher on a scorching summer day. When people come over to my place on a hot summer day, I usually offer them Iced Teas and Pomegranate Lemon Iced tea is one of my personal favourites. This is an easy and delicious iced tea enhanced with the refreshing flavours of lemon, pomegranate, and Sweet Basil. This Pomegranate lemon iced tea is truly summer in a glass; it is full of delicate flavour, light and sparkly, this mocktail has divine ingredients like homemade lemonade, fresh pomegranate juice, and fresh basil.